Campaign Spending Cap Off the Table in Third District Supervisor’s Race

03/12/2014 12:32 pm0 commentsViews: 73


LOS ANGELES (CNS) – The race for the Third District seat on the Los
Angeles County Board of Supervisors, already competitive, may have gotten more
expensive.
Former Santa Monica Mayor Bobby Shriver filed a campaign finance
declaration Friday indicating that he would spend at least $300,000 of his own
money on the race. He declined to agree to a voluntary spending limit of $1.4
million and can now raise as much money as he likes, as long as each individual
contribution is no more than $300.
That’s a limit he has followed since he first declared his candidacy,
according to Shriver’s campaign strategist Bill Carrick, who said the campaign
always left open the option of self-funding.
“We watched the mayor’s race last year, I was involved in Eric
Garcetti’s campaign. Most candidates in the primary spent about $5 million,”
Carrick said today. “We’re in that same media market.”
Carrick declined to say how much money Shriver had raised, pointing out
that campaign disclosures are not due until Monday. However, he did acknowledge
that the campaign was “playing a bit of catch up,” relative to former state
Sen. Sheila Kuehl, who has been campaigning for the job longer.
Due to Shriver’s move, none of the candidates in the race will be bound
by the $1.4 million cap, though each will be subject to different individual
contribution limits depending on how much of their own money they plan to
spend. If they agree to spend no more than $50,000 of their own cash, they can
seek contributions of any size.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Kuehl began soliciting donations of
up to $10,000 via e-mail Monday, breaking with a previous practice of abiding
by a $1,500-per-contributor limit.
“I can’t get there at $1,500 a pop,” Kuehl told The Times. “That’s
why the county rules change for those of us who don’t have inherited wealth.”
This is the first competitive race for supervisor in years. Supervisor
Zev Yaroslavsky, who will be termed out this year after serving since 1994, ran
with little opposition, as did most other supervisors.
In addition to Shriver and Kuehl, six other people have filed to run –
West Hollywood Councilman John Duran; former Malibu Mayor Pamela Conley Ulich;
county activist Eric Preven; Doug Fay of Santa Monica; Yuval Kremer of Los
Angeles; and Rudy Melendez of North Hollywood.
The First District seat, currently held by Supervisor Gloria Molina, is
also in play. Former Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is widely viewed as solidly
leading in a race against two other candidates, El Monte Councilman Juventino
“J” Gomez and law enforcement officer

Zev Yaroslavsky  Photo by Gary McCarthy

Zev Yaroslavsky termed out this year after serving since 1994
Photo by Gary McCarthy

.

Tags:

Leave a Reply