WEST HOLLYWOOD —The 31st annual AIDS Walk Los Angeles returns to West Hollywood Park, 647 N. San Vicente Blvd., Oct. 11. Sign-in is at 8:30 a.m. with the opening ceremony at 9:15 and the start of the walk at 10 a.m.
The 10-kilometer walk will benefit AIDS Project Los Angeles and more than 20 other AIDS service organizations in Los Angeles County. The groups provide essential support services to thousands of people living with HIV or AIDS, as well as vital HIV prevention work.
Since its inception in 1985, AIDS Walk Los Angeles has raised more than $79 million.
In addition to public officials and celebrities expected to attend and support the event, AIDS Walk L.A. also is supported by the corporate community. Gilead Science, Quest Diagnostics, ABC-7, the city of West Hollywood, Delta Airlines, Paramount Studios, Paul Hastings, Albertsons Vons Pavilions, Macys, Time Warner Cable, Toyota and Wells Fargo are helping sponsor the event.
Due to the walk, there will be limited street closures throughout West Hollywood Oct. 10 and 11.San Vicente Boulevard will be closed from Santa Monica Boulevard to Melrose Avenue from 6 a.m. Oct. 10 to 6 p.m. Oct. 11.
Other street closures will occur, as follows:
• San Vicente Boulevard from Beverly Boulevard to Melrose Avenue (East side only), 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 11.
• Robertson Boulevard from Melrose Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard, 6 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 11.
• La Peer Drive from Melrose Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard, 6 a.m. to noon Oct. 11.
• Santa Monica Boulevard from Doheny Drive to Holloway Drive, 6 a.m. to noon Oct. 11.
• La Cienega Boulevard from Santa Monica Boulevard to Melrose Avenue, 6 a.m. to noon Oct. 11.
• Melrose Place from La Cienega Boulevard to Orlando Avenue, 6 a.m. to noon Oct. 11.
• Melrose Avenue from San Vicente Boulevard to La Brea Avenue, 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 11.
• La Brea Avenue from Melrose Avenue to Beverly Boulevard, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 11.
• Beverly Boulevard from La Brea Avenue to Flores Street, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 11.
• Beverly Boulevard from Flores Street to Kings Road, midnight to 6 p.m. Oct. 11.
• And Beverly Boulevard from Kings Road to San Vicente Boulevard, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 11.
Drivers should expect delays and plan accordingly.
To register and for more information, please visit www.aidswalk.net/losangeles.
For additional information, please call the AIDS Walk Los Angeles office at (213) 201-9255.